Re: doc work

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: doc work
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:31:08 -0400

Hi Mats,

What's wrong with a template that gives you a MIDI file for free, even if you didn't expect it.

In my experience — both personally (years ago) and seeing waves of newbies picking up Lilypond in the past few years — one of the most confusing parts about learning Lilypond is figuring out which code is necessary and which isn't.

\midi isn't necessary if you don't want a MIDI output file... but the code is included in every "simple" template, and so the implication is that it's essential code.

Furthermore, it takes more processing time to make the MIDI file, especially with very large files — why slow down the process when you don't need to?

If I was a LilyPond beginner and suddenly discovered a MIDI file
with the same name as my score PDF file, I would certainly get curious
to listen to it and read more about that possibility in the manual.

And if I *didn't* want a bunch of extra files suddenly popping up in my directory (which I didn't, when I was starting out with Lilypond), then it would just irritate me to no end (which it did).

To take your argument to its (illogical) extreme, why don't we just add *all Lilypond features* into one "simple" template and let the Lilypond beginners "suddenly discover" everything that Lilypond can do all at once? ;-)

Cheers,
Kieren.