Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command

From: Patrick Horgan
Subject: Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:26:13 -0700

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Patrick Horgan wrote:

As a compromise, how about leaving them in for now, but marking in the documentation as duplicates of \center-align or \left-column and /deprecated--users should migrate to the new syntax as the older will eventually go away/.

No! A fairly large number of commands and property names have been
changed recently, without any duplications for backward compatibility.
convert-ly and the release notes (NEWS) is used to handle these
changes. There's no reason to treat this syntax change differently
than the others.
Actually, my suggestion was for a better way of handling these sorts of things going forward, that would garnish less user angst. It would be a significant improvement in future handling of such things that would in no way affect the current or future use of convert-ly or NEWS. In fact, as a decent C++ programmer, and being familiar with parsers, I'd be willing to do a proof of concept, but imagine it might be less disruptive if done after the impending release;)

Patrick