Re: \shiftOn doesen't behave as expected

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: \shiftOn doesen't behave as expected
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:54:38 -0500

Dave,

I was going to answer essentially the same thing as Carl, but since he already responded I thought I'd go ahead and say "welcome" to the list. Always nice to see another classical guitarist onboard. If you're interested in some fingering tweaks or things like that I'll be happy to share some of my files.

Best,

Jonathan

Carl Sorensen wrote:
notesetter <dstocker <at> thenotesetter.com> writes:

I'm typing some guitar music with version 2.10.33 to teach myself how to use
LilyPond. I'm using the command \shiftOn to move inner voices so that they
are clear and not colliding with other voices. I'm also typing the upper
voice and lower voice separately, in hopes to avoid extra typing and overly
complex use of syntax.

Dave,

What you may not realize is that your syntax is mixing user-controlled
shifting with LilyPond controlled shifting.

Whenever you type << { ... } \\ { ...} >> you are automatically creating new
temporary voices with shift characteristics determined by LilyPond.

I suspect that you would get what you want if you changed your strategy
a bit. Instead of defining a soprano part with << \\ >> in it, I'd recommend you define
sopOne

sopTwo

bassOne

bassTwo

Each of which has only one "row" of notes.

You can then put your piece together with << SopOne \\ SopTwo \\ bassOne \\ bassTwo >>
and LilyPond will set the voices so they should work for you.

Another option is to read the new discussion on polypohony from the GDP docs:

http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/index.html

Go to the Notation Reference, and look up section 1.5.2.

Hope this helps,

Carl