Re: ubuntu package

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: ubuntu package
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 01:51:50 -0400

I think I'll give this a try. What I'm most concerned about is this: Someone has prepared a flavor of Ubuntu (Ubuntu Studio) with all kinds of audio/video/graphics applications pre-installed and integrated with the OS, thus sparing me the need to download and learn to configure most of the programs I foresee using in the near future. Amongst the programs this individual or group of individuals has thought to include is LilyPond 2.10.33. Thus, I have been allowed to become lazy about learning how to install programs on the GNU/Linux platform (keep in mind, I'm a recovering Windows user).

What I want to do is install the latest version of LilyPond, but I'm unsure how or if I should remove LilyPond 2.10.33. Since I like LilyPond so much (despite my lack of knowledge concerning markup languages and programming), I'd prefer to avoid fouling up the installation of the new version.

How do I go about removing 2.10.33 (if that's even necessary) before installing the latest development version. Path$ and Directorie$ are new to me because ever since I have used a computer, I have never had to deal with such weighty decisions (BTW, if anyone knows of an online "self-help" or "twelve-step prgram"-type resource to help recovering Windows users learn how to install programs in GNU/Linux, please pass them along--I'm not really 'lazy,' I just want to avoid messing things up).

Suffice it to say that I proceed with caution in areas like this. Because of my limited knowledge, I want to make sure that I'm making no assumptions.

Thanks in advance for any insight imparted here,

Dave

Paul Scott wrote:
notesetter wrote:
Is there an Ubuntu package for LilyPond? Suppose I'm using LilyPond 2.10.33
and want to upgrade to the latest (development) branch. Is there a "software
source" I can type in and then have the latest version downloaded and
installed via synaptic?
The GUB's on this page are trivial to install on any LInux system: http://lilypond.org/web/install/#2.11

I run them on Debian which as you know is the base for Ubuntu.

Paul Scott