Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:15:59 -0700

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:43:50 +0200
"James E. Bailey" <address@hidden> wrote:

> But if your only previous experience running software is double-
> clicking, it's pretty daunting. And most software that requires that
> knowledge is written by people who already know it. I'll say it,
> lilypond was the first thing I ran on a command line. And it took me
> about two weeks (maybe longer) following the directions in the
> lilypond tutorial on how to do it.
>
> For example, if it's the first time you've seen it, path/to/
> Lilypond.app can be confusing. Most macintosh applications don't
> show the suffix, so I had to figure out that the "LilyPond" program
> in my applications folder was actually "LilyPond.app". Secondly, I
> had to figure out that path/to/ is the actual path to LilyPond, not
> something else.

In that case, why[1] were you trying to run it on the
command-line?  If you're not familiar with that interface, then
either stick to double-clicking, or read some tutorials on the
subject.  Google searches for:
  "linux command-line" and "OSX command-line"
both reveal tons of tutorials.  I don't know if any of them are
any good, but surely *some* of them have to be decent documents.

[1]  If the answer is "because the GUI is broken on 10.5", then
all I can say is  :(

It's not the job of the lilypond manual to teach users how to use
their operating systems.  There's *tons* of other help available
on the internet for such tasks -- and a lot of that help has much
prettier pictures than we'd have the patience to create.

Cheers,
- Graham