Many thanks!

From: Don Ravey
Subject: Many thanks!
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:19:51 -0700

It's been a long time since I've used list servers, I hope I'm responding correctly.

I'm blown away at the rapid and very helpful response I got to my question. Dominic, Jonathan and Brett: your comments and advice are much appreciated!

I downloaded what I thought was the latest stable version, but I will now upgrade.

Yes, the opening bar should have been for the left hand, I just got so confused with the notation that I couldn't figure out how to do it (and I was concentrating on preventing the crashes). If you think that looked funny, you should have seen some of the other bizarre things I produced!

You know, I had played around with the uppercase characters in PianoStaff, trying pianostaff (which it didn't recognize, but at least it didn't crash!) and Pianostaff--the one I didn't try was pianoStaff! However, now it seems to be accepting PianoStaff, which is, after all, what the Manual shows.

I do a lot of programming, including database (SQL etc.), and have done so for many, many years (don't ask!), and I've been an amateur musician for well over a half century, but I'm having a tough time getting the hang of this notation. But I've only been trying to learn for a couple of days--I'll get there!

Thanks for your help!  I'm sure I'll ask more questions.

Don Ravey
http://ravey.net