Re: Lilypond's debian control file out of date? was: Re: live cd-with li

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Lilypond's debian control file out of date? was: Re: live cd-with lilypond
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:47:20 +0200

Am Montag, 25. August 2008 schrieb Rob Canning:
> Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > At least the Debian and Kubuntu packages of lilypond-data have the
> > following requirement:
> > Pre-Depends: tetex-bin | texlive-base
> >
> > I suppose that this is not true any longer and was never removed when
> > lilypond switched away from using latex...
> > There is, however, a build-time dependency on metafont (mf-nowin is
> > called to create the feta font), which is in the texlive-base-bin
> > package.
> does this mean all this is needed is a modification to the debian
> controlfile?

Hopefully, yes. Lilypond does not have a run-time dependency on any
LaTeX-distribution any more. I didn't see anything in the texlive-base
package, which would be required for LilyPond, and a lilypond run after
removing texlive also executed properly. Of course, that's not a guarantee
that I didn't miss anything.
As I said in my previous mail, compiling lilypond requires metafont, which is
packaged in texlive-base-bin, and compiling the documentation requires
texinfo, which uses pdfetex to create the PDF-version of the manuals.

PS: I'm also cc'ing the packagers of the ubuntu package for lilypond in
addition to the Debian packager. Please note the current run-time
dependencies of Lilypond:
We switched away from using latex to create the output file a long while ago,
so I suppose the pre-depends dependency on latex can be removed now.

I also wonder if Metafont could/should be packaged separately from texlive?

- --
email: address@hidden,
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien,
 * K Desktop Environment,, KOrganizer maintainer
 * Chorvereinigung "Jung-Wien",
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)