wikipedia: "GNU Lilypond" article

From: Tom Cloyd
Subject: wikipedia: "GNU Lilypond" article
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:45:26 -0700

In the Wikipedia article on "GNU Lilypond", some ignorant editor had entered a non-removable advisory which reads -

"This article or section contains instructions, advice, or how-to content.
The purpose of Wikipedia is to present facts, not to teach subject matter. Please help improve this article by removing or rewriting the how-to content, which may qualify for a move to Wikiversity, http://www.wikihow.com/, or http://howto.wikia.com/.";

In the Discussion section for the article I have lodged a protest against this advisory, and justified it by reference to code examples given in other programing language articles in Wikipedia, which I think is a sound basis for the protest.

I personally find the code example in the article an decent illustration of what Lilypond looks like and does, and thus both informative and useful. I'm concerned that it NOT be excised, due to its relevance. Readers truly interested in the content of article will likely want to see some Lilypond code, and the example in the article meets this need.

Given the high profile nature of Wikipedia articles, I thought it might be worthwhile to call attention to this issue, in case someone on this list who is more involved in that particular article than I am wants to do some followup.

At this point in my learning of Lilypond, this is about a hefty a contribution as I'm likely to make to "the cause". For what it's worth...

Tom

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< address@hidden >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website) << sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health weblog)