Re: a script / tool for transposing a lilypond staff / source file by a

From: Daryna Baikadamova
Subject: Re: a script / tool for transposing a lilypond staff / source file by a given interval and output result as a new file
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 16:10:16 +1200

Thanks for your help!  However I have three questions:

when we enter new scores, should we enter in concert pitch?

You suggested that it is not a good idea to use \displayLilyMusic because it only outputs absolute pitches, not relative, thus making the resultant score hard to maintain by humans.  However my situation is:
- the parts were not entered in concert pitch
- the parts are in pitches that are not common nowadays.  (e.g. in my score, trumpet in D, horn in E and clarinet in A, which I am afraid not many members in an (youth) orchestra will have.  Therefore I would also like to produce current transpositions in parts such as trumpet in Bb, horn in F and clarinet in Bb, or better, to produce pdf parts scores with different transpositions from one lilypond file.  What is the best way?

Would it be better for me to just annotate the original score (clarinet in A) by stating the transposition key of the instrument (\transposition), then for each version of parts, I use \transpose x y to transpose to the desired key in each case?

Or should I convert the score to concert pitch using \displayLilyMusic and then use \transpose x y in each case?

Thanks!
Daryna