Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:49:46 +0200

Hello Andrew,

Am Samstag, 6. September 2008 schrieb Andrew Hawryluk:
> Here's my initial design submission for the docs - it's just a gentle
> modification of the CSS file:

Thanks a lot!

> - use "Century Schoolbook L" if available to match the LilyPond output
> (Georgia is also a good option)

Actually, on -devel we discussed fonts a while ago and decided not to put any
font family in the .css file. The reason is that each user has different
preferences and different fonts he is used to for viewing web pages. Any
other font will only be confusing / make the output look unusual.
In particular, I like a sans-serif font for viewing web pages, because I think
that makes it much easier to read on screen (the is no additional clutter
coming from the serifs, that the eye must comprehend, so there is less
distraction from the main contours of the glyphs), while e.g. John or Graham
prefer a serif font. We have all configured our browser to show the sans /
serif fonts as default fonts, so LilyPond's documentation should honor that
setting, too.

> - links are only underlined when hovered upon

Ah, okay, my browser does that already without explicit settings in the CSS.

> - the colors are taken from the Monet "Waterlilies" on the LilyPond
> homepage
>
> I didn't change the color of the box at the bottom ("This page is for
> LilyPond-2.11.58") because it was styled right in the HTML file.

Oops, yeah, that should be moved to the CSS, too.

> Hope you get lots of good ideas from the list!

I hope so, too, but thus far you are the first who proposes some design
changes...

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --