Re: fermata over rest, tempo positioning, solo/tutti

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: fermata over rest, tempo positioning, solo/tutti
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:46:54 -0700

On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:30 PM, jo.clarinet wrote:

I've just started using LilyPond, never having typeset music before, and am getting on quite well, but there are three things I'm really stuck on - I have tried to search on here and on other sites, but seem to have a problem in that some of the links given don't work on my computer! So I apologise in advance if these are really obvious questions, and hope you don't mind me
asking.

1. How can I get a fermata sign over a rest? I've tried all the permutations
I can think of but with no luck!

r4\fermata will put a fermata over a quarter rest.

2. I can get tempo indications like Allegro, Andante etc printed up, but when tempo changes occur in the course of a piece, they seem to come up about half-a-bar before they should. I set the \mark\markup for just before the first note of the new section, so I can't see why it comes up earlier.

\mark is specifically located over a bar line.

Also, how can I reduce the font a bit? I'd prefer the words to be a bit
smaller.

Words or lyrics?  For words like solo and tutti use \markup\small{

3. How do I indicate 'solo' and 'tutti' ?

^\markup\small{ solo }   following a note.

HTH,

Paul Scott