Joining Stems

From: Aaron Dalton
Subject: Joining Stems
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:07:58 -0600

I am typesetting some musical examples for a professor for a book he will be publishing. In this particular example he is trying to show chronology as it pertains to sketch studies. What we have is a 16th-note tuplet 9 notes long. The 7th note used to be one pitch but was later crossed out to be another. What he wants to see is the old note inserted just before the final note and the stems meeting at the same point along the beam. Is there a way to do this within Lilypond? Or will I have to do this using Photoshop or something?

Thank you again for your time and assistance.
Aaron