Re: png cropping

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: png cropping
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:54:11 -0500

Patrick! It's all working beautifully now. I've tried about 10 different configurations of options using both the flags and the prompts, and everything worked just as expected. This is a really great tool! I like being able to use either the command-line arguments or the prompts. The arguments are especially useful if you just want to run exactly the same process again after editing the lilypond file, because you can just hit the up arrow to get the previous command and not have to go through all the prompts again. I also like the prompts because sometimes I forget the command-line options. But then you've added the usage thing, too. And now a version number 1.1! I never dreamed I'd contribute code to something with a version number ;-)

I think we've officially beat this thread to death and now have a nice script to show for it. Thanks for the collaboration! It's the most fun I've had in a while. Now if I can just get my head around the code you wrote I'll be doing something...

Best,

Jonathan

p.s. now that we have a tool with a version number, I might try learning how to write a brief manpage for it. Good idea?

Patrick Horgan wrote:
Jonathan Kulp wrote:
Hi Patrick,

I've been running your script trying to use the command-line arguments, and something's happening with the format argument. I specify it with an argument, but then I still get prompted for format. I might not be doing the flag right. I've tried it with -f=jpeg, -f=JPEG, -fJPEG, and I think that's it. I'll copy the terminal output below so you can see. On this example I use -fGIF and while it doesn't make the script fail, it does still ask me for a format. Am I specifying the format wrong?
it would have to be the same as the input from the command line, i.e. -f=jpeg or -f=gif---I don't have a clue why it would fail, though with our weird crossing of versions I don't know which version you're using. I put a version in this one, and if you specify -v it will tell you the version and quit. I fixed the defaults as you asked, and put in defaults for N 72 and png, (and if they pick transparency a default of png as well). If the command line args still don't work please let me know. They work here. My experience is that whenever I'm sure I've tested everything there are still many bugs, so please let me know:)
BTW, in the script I attached to the last email, you'll notice that with transparent background you have a choice between either png or gif--it's not forced to png. Is there a way to work this option into your version?
Yep, fixed.

Patrick

--
Jonathan Kulp