Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:06:22 +0200

Patrick McCarty wrote:
>> I just looked at the manual at different sizes, and I agree that we
>> should not decrease the size of the navigation bar too far - it makes
>> things too worse for smaller screens.
>> But, couldn't we try a minimum-width in absolute values, say 240px (or
>> about 16em, to respect user font size settings), and a more narrow
>> default width in percent (say 20%)?
>
> Hmm.  I didn't consider the {min,max}-width rules.  I think using a
> max-width for the TOC pane would be more appropriate though.

Yup, true.

Besides, I'm not completely sure if this idea can be easily added, since
you use the absolute positioning and do not really apply a width, but
set the margins s.t. the width constraints follow; correct?
I don't know whether there's a killer reason for this approach; if so,
we might have trouble adjusting the position of the main content pane.

>> Another idea. Alternative stylesheets. Cool thing.
>> > Perhaps we can also offer a safe-and-sound version, and have this
>> > "ugly-but-efficient" narrow-TOC solution as a "large screen optimized
>> > version"?
>
> Good idea.  I'll start experimenting with this.

By the way, does anybody know whether it's possible to set an
alternative stylesheet as default in your favorite browser [1]? This of
course should be applied for the whole document subtree below a certain
directory (e.g. http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/...).
Otherwise this might be wasted time, because nobody will click through
the menu every time he visits a new link...
At least, even for the "Firefoxers" out there, we should place a hint
somewhere (on the doc main page?) that style switching is possible (and
perhaps give a short explanation how to use it in popular browsers - the
Lynx people will know it, anyway...).

Cheers,
Alexander

[1] I.e., other than Firefox, for which there are some tools to do so,
e.g. http://olab.free.fr/OLab/sscp/