Re: Notation Reference 1.8 "Text" : ready for review

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Notation Reference 1.8 "Text" : ready for review
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:45:31 -0700

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:47:33 +0200
"Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/10/6 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Well, your personal source of knowledge and wisdom sucks.
>
> Matter of generation: not everybody was lucky enough to live at the
> glorious era of usenet, you know :-)

I have no clue how you kids grow up without usenet.  That's half
of the reason I act grumpy -- *somebody* has to teach you
whippersnappers how things work.

> > If you can remove a word (or words) without changing the meaning
> > of a sentence, kill it with glee.
>
> I now understand why you no longer want to be a composer...

Eh?  Because I know that concise documentation is easier to
understand?  Especially for non-native-English speakers?

Just because I'm trying to be nice to people with poor English
doesn't mean that I can't appreciate Feldman, you know.  Now, as
it happens, I *don't* appreciate Feldman... and I admit that I
prefer contemporary music that's less than 5 minutes long... but
that has nothing to do with writing docs.

> > Editing documentation *is* boring.  But I'll have you note that I
> > processed 99% of doc updates within a 12 hours for the *whole
> > year* that I was running GDP.  And the remaining 1% was delayed
> > for academic work, not because I was bored did fun stuff instead.
>
> Managing updates is definitely less unpleasant than writing doc stuff
> on your own.

You have no clue what you're talking about.  Writing docs, at
least as part of GDP, involves you working on material that you've
expressed an interest in, and can be done at your leisure.
Editing docs often invovles stuff you don't care about at all, and
should be processed as soon as possible.  If contributors have to
wait a few days to see their changes in HTML and/or get feedback,
they get bored and wander off.  It's a job that includes anywhere
from 0.5 to 4 hours of mostly boring work each day.

Cheers,
- Graham