Re: passing a Context to a scheme function (format-metronome-markup)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: passing a Context to a scheme function (format-metronome-markup)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:02:07 -0700

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:30:55 -0300
"Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Reinhold Kainhofer
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > (define-public (format-metronome-markup text dur count . context)
> >  (let* ((ctx (and (pair? context) (car context)))
> >         (hide-note (and ctx (eq? #t (ly:context-property
> > ctx 'tempoHideNote))))
> >         (note-mark (if (and (not hide-note) (ly:duration? dur))
> >
> > I don't know how useful this might be in general, but since it's
> > such an easy feature (and I don't think it breaks anything), I
> > prepared a patch:
>
> I prefer if you made the function take a boolean instead, and use
> another function (calling the one using the bool) to plug in to the
> engraver.

Thanks for the discussion and patch!  However, I recently tested a
score with some musicians, and they universally disliked the
"tempo in poet header" hack.  :(   I still like it, but one of the
first rules of HCI (human-computer interaction) is not to argue
with your test subjects, so I'm dropping this idea.

However, what grob produces the tempo mark?  Neither of these
(exaggerated) overrides produces any change.

\version "2.11.61"
\relative c' {
  \override MetronomeMark #'padding = #8
  \override RehearsalMark #'padding = #8