Re: Lilypond midi to stdout?

From: fiëé visuëlle
Subject: Re: Lilypond midi to stdout?
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:33:30 +0200

I'm glad you asked! The program is intended to have a performance mode: you enter a set of requirements and restrictions on the command-line (this is the
creative part!) and then see what it produces.

The program then does some combinatorial number-crunching, which can take a long time to complete - in some cases unrealistically long. However, it uses Python generators, so that each small unit of output (i.e., bar) is yielded immediately and then forgotten about, and we begin to see output straight away. Without this feature, some of the larger operations would simply fill
the memory and never complete. This way, it can begin to "perform"
immediately.

Of course, it is possible to play midi files (or scores) produced by Lilypond
at the end of the process, but that may be much later, or never.

To date, I've been using the sox synth to play the results, but that's pretty limited; and then by triggering some piano samples, but I realized I was re-inventing midi; and since my program already includes a function to convert my numerical representation of music into Lilypond-friendly strings,
the midi data is already being produced.

If only I could get my hands on it!

Did you try to pipe the MIDI file through "tail -f" ?
That part seems to work, even if I don't know if the "engraving during input" can work.

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm