Re: elegant compound time signatures

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: elegant compound time signatures
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:57:36 +0200

On 20 Oct 2008, at 10:49, Trevor Daniels wrote:

I'm not familiar with the whole rhythmic requirement but this seems to reproduce the second bar of the snippet correctly. Unfortunately subdivideBeams still must be turned on/off manually if the (2+2) pattern is required. The key is setting the beatLength to 8 rather than the 16 derived from the time signature.

(As I'm currently reviewing the Rhythms section of the Notation Reference this might be a useful example of using beatLength)

Yes, that gives the same output as in Graham's solution:

PNG image

Both styles in my sheet music from the region.

A problem with the latter is it is going to be cumbersome to write subdivideBeams changes in every measure.

So the ideal would be to have more general solution, that fixes these things once for all. - It is complicated problem, though.

  Hans

\version "2.11.62"
\relative c'' {
 \time 11/16
 #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 16 11 16)  4 16)
 #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 16 11 16)  7 16)
 \set beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)
 c16 b a g
 g f a
 g8 f16 e