Re: elegant compound time signatures

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: elegant compound time signatures
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:08:33 +0200

On 20 Oct 2008, at 12:53, Graham Percival wrote:

There is a need of a more general beaming pattern selection scheme.

To be picky, this is a problem about subdivided beams, not the
main beams.

From what I can see, one needs to create a general trees structure, as generated by "+" and parenthesizes. Then these can have different renderings in the output using bars, space breaks and beaming. The difference between a meter pattern and others, is that it covers a whole measure, or possibly a sequences of measure.

Then the basis for writing a time signature is that one chooses a refinement of such a structure, and writes it out.

Anyway, it's true that something this complicated would require
some scheme programming.

Since I do not do Scheme, I thought if using Haskell to write LilyPond code.

But in the description above, given a music line, one needs to find suitable applicable patterns, as described above. LilyPond has that, but not the means of describing the general iterated structures I described above.

  Hans