Re: Drum parts and horizontal beams

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Drum parts and horizontal beams
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:55:24 -0500

Jonathan Kulp wrote:

Nick Payne wrote:
-----Original Message-----

You must set the beam-damping to +inf.0

 \override Beam #'damping = #+inf.0

Is it possible to do the reverse - give every beam a slight slope without
explicitly setting the start and end position of every beam? I have a piece I'm engraving where because of the shape of the arpeggios (the whole piece
is arpeggios), Lilypond engraves every beam as horizontal, but I actually
think it would look better if every beam was slightly sloped. See the
attached PNG, where I changed the slope of the first beam using \once
\override Beam #'positions = #'(3 . 4), and the second beam uses the
automatic placing. I'd like every beam to have the same slope as the 1st
without having to add a beam position override for every bar. I played
around with overriding the concaveness and damping beam properties without
getting anything but horizontal beams.

Nick

The Beam damping property is still probably what you want to adjust. If you give it a value like 100000 you should get a slight tilt to the beam:

         \override Beam #'damping = #100000

If you make that -100000 it will make it tilt a bit the other way.

Jon

Just experimenting a bit more with this, I discover that you get more noticeable results if you use much smaller numbers, like #1.5 or #3 or #-2. I went with the 100000 number before b/c that used to be in a snippet in the fretted strings docs and that was the only example I had. :)

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com