customising chords

From: Bailey James E.
Subject: customising chords
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:02:22 +0100

I don't know if 2.7.2 on customising chords has been rewritten yet, but I'm having a difficult time understand how to customize chord names.

First, to be absolutely clear, this is the first time I'm using \chords. Second, I've be reading and re-reading this section for about 10 minutes, and I think I've spent too much time on it. Third, all I really want is F4 and F3. Right now, my solution is to write F7 and modify the 7 to show what I want. I'm sure there's probably a better way.

Is it just me, or is there no example in customizing chord names. I mean specifically, if I wanted to use \italianChords, where does it go? Second, the section on chordNameExceptions, which is probably what I need uses Scheme to set it, and I have zero understanding of scheme. (I'll admit it, I really don't care to learn Scheme, learning lilypond is enough for me.) Does that mean that chordNameExceptions can only be used with scheme? Because I don't understand a single word of those two lines of scheme code.

Incidentally, I'm able to get the output that I have because there's an example of how to use majorSevenSymbol, and it doesn't use Scheme.

So, to anyone who knows a bit more about chords than I do: help, please?