I'm losing my umlauts

From: abqconlon
Subject: I'm losing my umlauts
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 21:30:21 -0800 (PST)

I am new to Lilypond but it is amazing how fast you can turn out great
looking music. I am having a problem with some music I am doing with
umlauts. I see it in the .ly file regardless of the editor I am using, but
when I generate the PDF file all of my special characters are spaces and I
lose the rest of the syllable. I am not sure if it is Adobe Reader or the
generation. I can print sample music PDFs (downloaded from the Mutopia
Project) that have umlauts and they are fine but if I use the sample .ly
files to generate the PDF the same thing happens.

Any suggestions?