Re: Installing new font

From: Hugo Flordal
Subject: Re: Installing new font
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 12:01:20 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Hi, I have a metafont font with embellishment symbols (for Scottish
> > tenordrum feathering and flourishing) that I'd like to use in
> > LilyPond.
>
> Do you want to contribute? :-)  We could integrate them.

I would love to, but there is no standard for these
symbols, so this is really just a suggestion.

> > I've used mftrace to convert it to a .pfa type 1 font,
>
> We use mf2pt1 which gives much cleaner results.  However, you have
> probably to modify your source code.
>
> > but I don't know how to install it and use it in LilyPond.  I guess
> > this involves both Pango and LilyPond skills?
>
> No.  Make your font known by fontconfig (this normally means adding it
> to the right directory so that it gets cached), then you can access it
> as any other text font.

I couldn't get it to work properly. I think I got fontconfig
to cache the font properly; fc-list contains the line

  TenorSigns:style=Regular

But when put this in my .ly-file:

 c_\markup { \override #'(font-encoding . "TenorSigns")
                 { \char #0 }
           }

I get as a result:

  programming error: Cannot get a text stencil from this font
  continuing, cross fingers

Lilypond completes but the character is missing from the
output. I used fontforge to inspect the font and supposedly
char 0 holds something sensible.

  any clues?
    Hugo