Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:49:26 -0600

Francisco Vila wrote:
2008/11/14 Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden>:
I have only upgraded a couple of times, and it was in response to this
thread, just to test it out.  It's possible that I upgraded one more time
before that.  I always use the Add/Remove program tool built into Windows,
accessed by the Control Panel.  On Linux I always run the uninstall script
that comes with Lilypond, but I don't know how to do this on Windows.  Like
I said, I don't use Windows regularly  (...poking in the Windows partition
now...) Aha!  I just noticed the uninstall.exe file in the Lilypond
directory!  Should I try running that and then doing a fresh reinstall of
Lilypond?  Does the Windows Add/Remove GUI use this uninstall.exe file or
does it use something else?  I can try this after lunch if you think it's a
good idea.

The standar way of uninstalling lilypond on windows is to launch the
Uninstall program found into the lilypond  entry of the Start button->
programs menu.

I think the Windows builtin Control Panel -> uninstall feature should
use this program.

Alright, I uninstalled by going through the program menu and choosing the uninstall script. The process looked exactly the same as when I did it from the Control Panel. (Either way it's incredibly slow. Why is it so much slower on Windows than on Linux?)

After uninstalling I found, though, that the Lilypond directory was still there in the Program Files directory, and from that I could tell the date on which I first installed LP on this laptop, 12 June 2008. I deleted the LP directory from Program Files, hoping that a *really* fresh install would fix the problem of the fontconfig cache rebuilding all the time. It didn't help. I reinstalled Lilypond (2.11.63-1) and ran my test file again, twice, and the cache was rebuilt on the second run just like the first. Anything else I should try or information I could provide to help track down the problem?

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com