Re: confused about transposing from treble clef to bass clef

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: confused about transposing from treble clef to bass clef
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:38:53 -0600

Just connect one more dot and you're there...

notes = { \key c \major c d e f }

%% sax part
\relative c'' { \notes }

%% trombone part -- add the "\clef" command
%% and change it to \relative c' instead of relative c''

\transpose c es, { \relative c' { \clef "bass" \notes } }

%%%%

Jon

chip wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that is all there is to it. I changed the clef to Bass and in doing so the notes change position on the staff. I want to have the notes remain in the same positions on the staff in bass clef as they are in treble clef. Only the key signature should change. The Alto Sax part is in the key of C, so the bass clef part should be in, I don't know, my theory is so rusty I can't think that one up.
--
Chip

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
For transposing from E-flat to concert pitch, see the docs on transposition, here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-big-page#Transpose

To change it to bass clef, just use a command

\clef "bass"

The easiest way to put put music into a different clef/register is to store the notes in a variable and simply use different \relative levels to put it in the right octave:

%%% start cut-and-paste section %%%

%% define the pitches
notes = { c d e f }

%% start pitches on middle C

\relative c' { \notes }

%% put same pitches in bass clef an 8ve lower

\relative c { \clef "bass" \notes }

%% transpose notes for an e-flat instrument
\transpose es c' { \relative c' { \notes }}

%% transpose from e-flat instrument to concert pitch
\transpose c es, { \relative c'' { \notes } }

%%% end cut-and-paste section %%%

Hope that helps,

Jon

chip wrote:
I have a piece written for Eb Alto Sax and would like to transpose it to Bass Clef Trombone. I've read a bunch of posts in the archives and am now more confused than ever. It should be relatively easy, as the bass clef bone should be able to read the notes as written, but just change the key sig? Right? I think...
Please shed some light on this for me,
Thanks.
Chip