Re: confused about transposing from treble clef to bass clef

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: confused about transposing from treble clef to bass clef
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:34:06 -0800

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 01:12:56PM -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Graham,
>
>> If the initial response to his question was "read the 2.11 docs
>> about transposition and file syntax", the whole discussion would
>> have been over in 2 or 3 emails.
>
> So rather than making this yet another pissing contest (that's my "rude +
> accurate" comment),

:)

In defense of Jonathan, his responses *were* accurate; they were
just too polite.  I mean, they were accurate and looked accurate,
but it invited a discussion about file syntax.  We've spent about
10 hours working on file syntax ALONE in the 2.11 docs; unless you
think that you can explain the concept better in an email than
multiple people could do in 10 hours, I strongly suggest that we
simply tell people to RTB211D.

> why don't we suggest EXPLICITLY to everyone on the
> list that all "RTFM" comments should be "RTFCM" (C = current) comments?

Definitely!  Although since there are multiple manuals, and to be
slightly more polite, it should be RTB211D.  :)   That said, I
believe that all doc-pointing in recent months *has* been to the
2.11 docs -- we just aren't consistent in saying "read the 2.11
docs instead of 2.10".

On second thought, I regret using the word "bloody" in my first
email.  That's should be saved for people who know me and will
understand the joke.

Cheers,
- Graham