Re: musicxml2ly

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:29:06 -0800

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 02:45:20PM +0100, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> - -) Third, Recordare claims copyright on the typesetting of those MusicXML
> files, so we can't simply copy them into our build tree for testing purposes
> (Michael Good, the author of the MusicXML spec wrote me last year that if I
> ask them and tell them on which website the files would be placed, they would
> grant us permission, but due to the open source nature of LilyPond, I doubt
> that we can really fulfill this

What a jerk!  No, of course we can't allow that.  How does he
expect his format to gain acceptance if he doesn't supply test
files under a permissive license?!

I mean, they're *language tests*.  Pay a music student for 8 hours
to typeset some public domain music, then release the whole thing
as public domain.  For a company as big as Finale, I can't believe
that they couldn't afford to do that.

> Even worse, one has to decide to either assign those
> markups and dynamics to only one voice present in the staff (with the
> consequence that you will not be able to split multiple voices into multiple
> staves later on without losing the dynamics for the second voice) or to
> assign them to both voices and live with the duplication that you currently
> see.

Could you add a voice containing nothing but spacer rests, and
assign all marks to that voice?  I'm not certain that would be any
better in the long run, though.  :(

Cheers,
- Graham