Re: must I build?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: must I build?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:40:09 +0100

2008/11/25 John Mangual <address@hidden>:
> Mainly I want to get in involved by fixing some of the presentation bugs
> that arise such as this one

Nice idea; good luck with that! :-)

> where would i look to find the relevant source code to modify?  do i have to
> rebuild Lilypond everytime I want to try out a "fix"?

If you change something in /usr/local/share/lilypond/2.1*/scm, you can
test it immediately (Scheme code is interpreted, not compiled).

If you change something in a C++ file, you'll have to rebuild indeed:

sudo make uninstall & make bin-clean & make all & sudo make install

For this particular bug, the partcombine definition is in
ly/, that calls a make-part-combine-music function,
that is defined in scm/part-combiner.scm, that uses some functions
from lily/

You may also found informations in the docs:

(this is probably not the easiest bug to start with, but good luck to you :-)