Re: musicxml2ly

From: Hajo Dezelski
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:44:32 +0100

Hello,

although I have pleaded in the past to develop xml-conversion I must admit that I was not aware about the technical and legal conflicts.

- -) Third, Recordare claims copyright on the typesetting of those MusicXML
files, so we can't simply copy them into our build tree for testing purposes
(Michael Good, the author of the MusicXML spec wrote me last year that if I
ask them and tell them on which website the files would be placed, they would
grant us permission, but due to the open source nature of LilyPond, I doubt
that we can really fulfill this. I simply don't want to copy anything into
the source tree which cannot be freely copied and published/uploaded
somewhere else).

I was always astonished about Dolets and Finales politics in that after a time you had to
purchase the additional licence. But now I understand.

On the other hand the acceptance of musicxml- conversion from other scoresetting software seems at least disputable. Even if that is based on technical problems (note versus staff based orientation), conversions to other software than finale was always from "loaded with problems" to not useable. So it is for sure not a problem of Lilypond but the lack of acceptance of musicxml by other developers ( accept finale). So this could be a dead end road a la longue at least for us. And we could not sacrifice Creative Commons. It should be the other way round.

So the only way I see in the moment is to enhance the midi-export so that we have a chance to use the music in another context.

Hajo

--
---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn