Re: musicxml2ly

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:10:02 +0000

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:05:46AM +0100, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> Comapare it to OGG vs. MP3. From the Open Source point of view it is
> recommended not to use MP3 but OGG. But in the real world everyone uses
> MP3.

You made two statements there, both of which are untrue. A few years ago
there were serious patent concerns over MP3, which made it likely that
vendors including free MP3 decoders in their distributions, and maybe
even users using them, would attract liability for patent infringement.
It was because of this that distributions stopped including them, and
recommended their users to switch to Ogg/Vorbis. This patent concern has
died down since then, so such a recommendation is no longer in effect.

Turning now to users, I'd like to see some evidence that "everyone uses
MP3," especially as I'm one of the non-MP3 users you claim don't exist.
(I use FLAC for high-quality recordings and archival material, and
Ogg/Vorbis for lower-quality sources.) To be honest, I think native
support for ReplayGain is by itself enough of a reason to use one of
MP3's competitors.

True, if you go to iTunes you won't find Ogg/Vorbis music for sale, but
that's because there's no implementation that has the kind of
restrictions Apple wants to impose on its customers. But if you
(hypothetically) download music from other kinds of distribution
network, you'll find lots of Ogg/Vorbis and FLAC users out there, and
even a few Speex users.

And, looking at the world of commercial software, if you buy a recent PC
game, there's a pretty good chance that its music and/or sound effects
will be in Ogg/Vorbis format.

--
"Pedestrian: Anybody who is knocked down by a motor-car." -- Beachcomber
http://surreal.istic.org/                    Yellow: it's the new khaki.