Re: Just chords and lyrics.

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Just chords and lyrics.
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:06:47 -0600

Graham Percival wrote:
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 08:22:51PM -0600, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
makeTransparent = {
\override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
\override Stem #'transparent = ##t
\override TupletBracket #'bracket-visibility = ##f

This could be added to ly/property-init.ly.  Oh, and indentation.

Are you saying it could be a new command that's part of Lilypond, or that a user should add it to his own property-init.ly file? I don't know if it would be a good idea to add it to the program's code, since there are so many things that might need to be made transparent in a given melody, some are bound to be left out and somebody would call it a bug. This melody has ties, tuplets, dotted notes, and rests, but one could also have articulations, slurs, glissandos and dynamics, etc. I had to go to the Lilypond list of objects to figure out how to make all these transparent, and I was hoping that this example would also give someone reading the docs the hint that there are a lot of things to make transparent, and that not everything is made transparent with the same type of command--some are #'transparent = ##t while others are #'stencil = ##f, and the Tuplet brackets have still another override format. Hopefully with that many examples, users can figure out how to make everything transparent. Incidentally, this example should probably be a snippet, since it has overrides, right? Should all of these be snippets? The ones using \new Devnull don't have overrides so they could be part of the main text, I suppose.

Indentation: I was working with strk's original code when making this but will adjust the indentation to conform to doc policies.

And possibly a different name; makeTransparent sounds close to
hideNotes.

I'll try to come up with something. My first one was \makeItVanish but that seems too flippant for the docs :)

... on second thought, why doesn't hideNotes contain all the above
overrides?  Maybe it should...

I tried using \hideNotes just now and it hides the notes, ledger lines, and dots, but not the tuplet objects, ties, and rests.

For the minimal example in the docs, you would omit the \midi, of
course.

Right.  Revised code below.  Thanks for looking through this, Graham.

Jon

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.11.64"

\paper {
  indent = 0.0
}

makeInvisible = {
\override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
\override Stem #'transparent = ##t
\override TupletBracket #'bracket-visibility = ##f
\override TupletNumber #'stencil = ##f
\override Accidental #'transparent = ##t
\override Tie #'transparent = ##t
\override Dots #'transparent = ##t
\override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner #'transparent = ##t
\override Beam #'transparent = ##t
\override Rest #'transparent = ##t
}

text = \lyricmode {
  Three words, then
  two  words. \melisma
  Three \melismaEnd words, then
  Two words.
}

%------------- Melody ---------- }{

melody = \relative c'' {
  r4 e e4. e8 |
  a4. d,8~ d2 |
  r2 \times 2/3 { d4 b4 gis4 } |
  b,4. e8 ~ e2 |
}

nullMelody = \relative c'' {
  e4 e e2 | e2 e | \times 2/3 {d2 d d } | e4 e ~ e2 |
}

%------------- Chords ---------- }{

harmonies = \chordmode {
  a1:m | d:m | e:7 | a:m |
}

% The original melody, chords, and lyrics

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames { \harmonies }
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = "vocal" { \melody }
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "vocal" \text

  \layout {}
}

% The chord symbols, a blank staff, and lyrics

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames { \harmonies }
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = "vocal" { \makeInvisible \melody }
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "vocal" \text

  \layout {}
}

% just chord symbols and lyrics with original melody
% spacing is all jacked up.

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames { \harmonies }
    \new Devnull = "vocal" { \melody }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "vocal" \text

  \layout {}
}

% just chord symbols and lyrics
% This one created with a separate melody defined for the
% devnull context to improve spacing.

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames { \harmonies }