Re: Harmonics w/ Regular Notes

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Harmonics w/ Regular Notes
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:53:49 -0500

On Sunday 14 December 2008, Graham Percival wrote:
> I recommend
>   < a\harmonic >4
>
> It's probably mentioned in Articulations, and is certainly
> mentioned in the section on Unfretted strings.  The way that
> strings notate artificial harmonics is
>   < a e'\harmonic>4
> but I don't know if that's appropriate for guitars.
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Fretted instruments have additional options because of the fret
numbers, but nothing except spacing and collisions precludes
using violin methods also.

For artificial harmonics the easiest way is to use a text bracket
with dashes with "arm" and stem direction, using either true pitch or an
8ve marking, or an 8va marking for each note. Note that even if the
8va marking is under a note the note must be an octave higher,
and never lower for this instrument.

The use of flageolets for harmonics is best restricted to open strings
rather than artificial harmonics. Regards, daveA