Custom articulations/pitched single-note trills

From: gnomino
Subject: Custom articulations/pitched single-note trills
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 02:30:52 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I'm trying to typeset pitched single-note trills. Since \pitchedTrill only works
for trill spanners, I have resorted to using the following:

trillFlat = -\markup { \vcenter { \musicglyph #"scripts.trill" \smaller \flat }}
\relative { c'\trillFlat c\trill c\trillFlat c\trill }

Unfortunately the \markups are automatically placed below the staff while the
\trills are placed above. If the \markups are manually positioned, as in:

trillFlat = -\markup { \vcenter { \musicglyph #"scripts.trill" \smaller \flat }}
\relative { c'^\trillFlat c^\trill c^\trillFlat c^\trill }

then the \trillFlats appear slightly out of line with the \trills.

I was wondering if there is a way to create custom articulations, which would
solve both of my problems? If not, then how should I make the \trillFlats above
appear in line with the \trills? I've tried adjusting #'padding,
#'staff-padding, and #'minimum-space, none of which seem to have any effect.

Thanks in advance.