Re: Vertical alignment of Chords - Feature / Bug??? Subtle Solution

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Vertical alignment of Chords - Feature / Bug??? Subtle Solution
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:39:57 +0000

Hi Carl,

2008/12/19 Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden>:

> You should be able to fix this by setting the ChordName grob's
> outside-staff-horizontal-padding property.  You can read about this property
> in the Notation reference.  You will want to make the value larger.  The
> effect of this property is to make the space taken up by the ChordName so
> large that it can't fit into spaces in the lyrics line above.

I've tested this, but can't get it to work.

Looking at the source, I've come to the conclusion that
'outside-staff-horizontal-padding only applies to objects in the same
VerticalAxisGroup with equal 'outside-staff-priority (like several
TextScripts attached to adjacent notes).

I think 'skyline-horizontal-padding is what's needed.  For example,
here's a snippet with two closely meshed systems, where a chord and
note are getting intimate:

#(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines #t)
\paper {
  indent = 0
  between-system-space = 0
  line-width = 5\cm
}

<<
  \chords {
    %\override VerticalAxisGroup #'skyline-horizontal-padding = #0.6
    c2 c s1
    c2 c
  }
  \relative c'' {
    c2
    c,,2
    R1 \break
    c''2
    c2
  }

Increasing 'skyline-horizontal-padding in the \chords block forces the
systems apart, since it widens the skyline around the ChordName until
it's encroaching on the note's skyline.

Regards,
Neil