Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:27:11 +0100

Am 22.12.2008 um 17:37 schrieb John Mandereau:

Le lundi 22 décembre 2008 à 15:14 +0100, James E. Bailey a écrit :
Am 22.12.2008 um 14:04 schrieb John Mandereau:
Indeed: there is currently no thing in all LilyPond documentation that
introduces Scheme programming for non-programmers.
And there shouldn't be, in my opinion.

Why not? I'm sure a not so small amount of users would like to program
with LilyPond, so revising and extending the Scheme tutorial is a
solution IMHO.
Okay. if someone wants to take the time to write it... I mean, I'm not Graham, or anything, but its would seem to me that a Scheme tutorial should be the place to look to learn about Scheme, and the lilypond tutorial would be the place to learn about lilypond. In fact, (having absolutely zero knowledge about Scheme,) I could easily envision the Scheme tutorial in lilypond being a very large project.

We can't share this on this list, but it'd be cool to have an
introduction to programming based on Scheme and demonstrating
applications in LilyPond; however, even this is a lot of work and
there
are more urgent and basic things to do in the next 2 months.

Given that, I'd say that the easiest solution would be to just tell us.

It's not just a matter of telling you; teaching how to fish (or
programming Scheme) takes a long time, and I don't have that much time
to teach Scheme on the list for free.  GF proposed a lot of links in
this thread, I'm sure you'll find something that will fit your needs.
Again, I have no knowledge about Scheme, or programming in general, but I have the feeling it would be like learning how to read music. Something which I definitely do not have the time for or desire to learn.

Incidentally, he did make it clear, he wants a diatonic fourth. So, c
sharp in trumpet one is g natural in trumpet 2, not g sharp.

Then wait for the diatonicTranspose function until Christmas :-P
Wow, that sounds awesome. I love it when lilypond does things automagically.

John