Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:57:09 -0800

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 09:40:48PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> > If you cannot, or will not, describe what you
> > actually want, it's very difficult to help you.
>
> He already has! He clearly stated that he wants to
> transpose music down a 4th, diatonically:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-12/msg00557.html
> If you don't know what diatonic means, look it up!

You must be reading a different email at that URL.

  Cameron: if your melody is in C and goes {a b c}, do you want to
  get {e f g} or {e fis g} ?

  Chip: good question, I'm gonna say diatonic and see how that goes.

Chip has previously said that he doesn't know music theory, and
his answer is not definite.  If he'd said "I want {e f g},
diatonic.", then the discussion would have ended with "not
possible without scheme programming".  But his "I'm gonna say" and
"see how that goes" doesn't precisely inspire confidence that he
actually wants diatonic.

I'll point out that half a dozen other people, including music
professors, have asked him for clarification after reading that
email.  So my confusion is not just me being a jerk.

- Graham