Re: emailed lilypond pdf's printout missing note bodies on reciepent's c

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: emailed lilypond pdf's printout missing note bodies on reciepent's computer
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:56:04 -0500

I've had some peculiar things happen, even using Adobe Acrobat to make the PDFs and using Adobe Reader 9 to view them. Specifically, when I've uploaded files generated at 1200 dpi to a Yahoo website, and then downloaded them to another computer (both computers running Windows XP), I've gotten a box around each staff. This was using ABC format to create the files, and then using Ghost to view them and sending them to an Acrobat printer. This didn't seem to happen always, and I don't think it happened at all if I set the printer to 720 dpi. I don't see how the dpi could affect the noteheads, but I'd say there are clearly possibilities out there for conflicts between generators and viewers.

Peace,

Ralph

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 4:33 PM, John Mislan <address@hidden> wrote:

> LilyPond embeds all needed fonts in its PDFs, so there's no need to
> install the fonts anywhere.
>
> But I had complaints about "wrong" PDFs myself, I could never resolve
> what the error caused.
>
> Maybe
> - some versions of LilyPond had bugs so that not all fonts were
> embedded (definitely not V.2.10.33)
> - some versions of some PDF viewers can't handle the Feta font
>
> Greetlings from Lake Constance
> ---
> fiëé visuëlle
> Henning Hraban Ramm
> http://www.fiee.net
> http://angerweit.tikon.ch/lieder/
> https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

Ahh Haa
 Thank you Henning for the insight - I was not sure that lilypond embedded the
needed fonts to the PDF's.

Now I can make a better conclusion of what is most likely to have happened -
The two separate recipients I sent PDF's to, most likely had not installed Adobe
Acrobat readers.
Both parties had either Win-Vista or XP - Probably had MS Office apps to
(wrongly), open the PDF's .

Guess I'll have to tell others to use Adobe - Acrobat or equivalent reader
for PDF's next Time.

Well that solves it then.

Thanks again for your prompt response, and help on this .

 - Seasons Grettings to All -

JWM