Re: Hairpins in Polyphony

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Hairpins in Polyphony
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 18:42:40 -0500

Hi Jay,

Ok Neil's second suggestion "voices" worked but I don't understand why it works
and why \\  should be avoided

Read the doc section on "Explicitly instantiating voices" — that will explain it.

(or why to avoid \\ when it's all over the documentation as the way to do polyphony )

That's a doc bug, as I've mentioned on this list many times… In fact, I consider it a Lilypond bug, in that the shorthand

should (IMO) automatically become

  << { \voiceOne a } \new Voice { \voiceTwo b } >> \oneVoice

rather than what it currently does.

Regards,
Kieren.