Re: short instrument name setting

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: short instrument name setting
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 19:01:22 +0800

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:47:41AM -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
>> Use \tag.  It was invented for *precisely* this situation.
>> It should be somewhere in NR 3.
>
> I avoid \tag at all costs — and suggest the same to other users, and
> warn newbies against it (or don't introduce them to it in the first
> place) — because it FORCES THE MIXTURE OF CONTENT AND PRESENTATION,
> which is A Bad Thing™.

WTM?!  It's like a <div> in HTML.  It doesn't do anything in
itself.

  \tag #'score \blah blah

doesn't force you to think about presentation in a bad way; it
just means that you only want to display something in a score.  Or
maybe in everything apart from the score.  I can't remember how
the command works.

> If there's another (non-\tag) way to do the same thing, that's The
> Better Way™.

You want a way of indicating that something is only to be used for
particular instruments/situations, without using a command that's
designed to be used for particular instrument/situations?

Cheers,
- Graham