Re: Adding instrument names to individual DrumVoices

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Adding instrument names to individual DrumVoices
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:34:02 -0600

Jesse Engle wrote:
Hi everyone,

I want to add instrument names to each voice in a DrumStaff before any
of the musical content begins, to create a key that shows which
limbs/instruments correspond to which note.

I've uploaded an example from the book I'm trying to emulate so you
can see what I mean:

http://jengle.waferbaby.com/lilydrums.jpg

Is there any way to do this?

- Jesse

Hi Jesse,

Here's an example of how to stack up different names in front of a single staff using a column markup. You'll have to experiment a bit to reduce the space between the names, probably, since these are a bit far apart. HTH,

Jon

\version "2.12.0"

notes = \relative c' { c d e f }

\score {
  \new Staff = "Percussion" {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup \right-column \fontsize #-4 {
            \line { "L.H./S.D." }
            \line { "R.F./B.D./Melody" }
            \line { "L.H./H.H." }
    }