Re: Copyright symbol

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Copyright symbol
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:36:57 +0100

2009/1/13 David Raleigh Arnold <address@hidden>:
> Mark, were you using emacs by any chance? You can check utf-8 all you
> want, but it will only save /new/ files that way. It won't change
> previous encoding. There is probably a method, but it's only a problem
> with someone else's files if he's been using the wrong text editor.
> Regards, daveA

I have made many tests and in my system emacs does change previous
encoding. I do
C-x ret f
or
M-x set-buffer-file-coding-system
then enter iso-8859-1 of utf-8, then save the file. When you close it
and reopen, it is encoded as you saved it last time, as expected.
It is still possible that certain characters not codeable in one of
the schemes makes emacs to refuse saving the file properly and
therefore you think it is saved in a scheme but in fact it is in
another one.

I watch the bottom -u or -1 to know what the encoding is.

My tests included Spanish accented characters and the copyright symbol.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org