Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th - Looks like I foun

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th - Looks like I found the answer
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 01:22:49 +0100

2009/1/16 Chip <address@hidden>:
> I figured it out - without any special trickery or anything else.

Of course, but you do need manual adjustments.

>  \transpose g d \relative c''' { \transpose d g << \trptnotes2>> }

\transpose always does chromatic transposition, ie keeping a fixed
interval of the same type of fifth or fourth or whatever. For example,
usual fourths inside a scale are not fixed, they vary depending of the
steps you consider.

> What happens is the original key is transposed from G to D (changing the key
> sig from one sharp to two sharps and dropping the written notes a fourth)
> before the first {, then inside the {} it is transposed again, this time
> from D to G (leaving the notes in the new position but changing the key sig
> back to one sharp).

Yes, if I remember correctly I already told you that \transpose does
transpose the key sig if it is inside of the block being transposed,
and does not transpose the key sig if it does not encounter any key
sig to transpose inside the block.

So you can obtain the same result by transposing a block without \key in it.

> I don't understand how or why this works but it does. And whether the
> interval is diatonic or harmonic, I don't know, but it gets the job done.

I'd call it "chromatic", "fixed" or "real" as opposed to "diatonic",
"modal" or "adapted to a scale". You are obtaining the first kind but
you need the second kind.

> Then I can just go in and fix very few individual notes as needed.

That's the problem, it is not automatic but rather it depends not only
on the notes being transposed, also on the interval of transposition.
Trust me, you are looking for a diatonic transposition tool.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org