Re: Chord Naming

From: Tao Cumplido
Subject: Re: Chord Naming
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:02:59 +0100

I never use fret diagrams so I don't know how this predefined exceptions work.
If I understand it right you want to make a list of all possibillities named on
dolmetsch.com so that everyone can pick his/her favourite way?!

Generally I think it's a good idea to improve the chord symbols in LP, or maybe
what I propose is a complete redesign. I don't know exactly how this works
internally since I am no programmer.
In my opinion the main problem is that chord symbols are linked to actual
notes. This probably works well for simple folkloric structures but becomes
problematic in complex jazz constructions. A jazz chord symbol is rather linked
to a scale than a chord but in most cases isn't limited to a single scale, e.g.
G7alt. can mean to play G mixolydian b13, G altered (superlocrian), HTWT or
HTWT. Even Cmaj7 isn't limited to ionian but can also mean lydian since the
perfect fourth is an avoid tone in maj7.

I think the best solution would be to make the suffix of a chord symbol, i.e.
everything after the root, plain text. This would allow everyone to choose
his/her favourite suffix by just typing standard characters.
I already do something similar. I use a tweaked font to display my chord
symbols in a Lyrics context above the Staff. This doesn't let me transpose
though and I always have to create transposed parts manually but I still prefer
it to the current function of LP because it allows easy displaying of chord
symbols to my like.
Also defining exceptions in advance would become unnecessary because all
exceptions are stored to different characters and one has only to learn his/her
favourite way of displaying chords once.

Whatever way you want to go, dolmetsch.com is still missing some common
exceptions and variations and I'd be happy to help out with expanding your
exceptions list.

Regards,

Tao

-------- Original-Nachricht --------