Re: Lyrics - align first wowel of a syllable under the notehead

From: Jiri Zurek (Prague)
Subject: Re: Lyrics - align first wowel of a syllable under the notehead
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 01:39:09 -0800 (PST)

Daer Mats,
thank you very much for the suggestion. However, on my setup, your sollution
does not seem to work. I still use Lilypond 2.12.1 and I simply copied your
code without any change to a file and compiled with Lilypond. The result is
shown on the image - the syllables are still "hard"-centered without the
respect to the vowels.

\layout{
  \context{
    \Lyrics
   % Make sure that the alignment point of the syllable is aligned with
the note head:
    \override LyricText #'X-offset =
#ly:self-alignment-interface::centered-on-x-parent

\relative c'{ c d e f }
\addlyrics {
  % Split the syllable into two halves to set the alignment point:
  \markup {\combine \right-align Dddda \left-align d }
  \markup {\combine \right-align da \left-align dddddd }
  \markup {\combine \right-align Dda \left-align dd }
  \markup { \right-align Dddda }
}

The suggestion of Kieren works perfectly, but it is very impractical having
to set each syllable centering point manually. I am preparing an edition of
16th century chant, which should have in the course of 2 years about 800
pages of music and in that moment it becomes impossible to set everything by
hand.
I am looking forward to the solution which another brave person is thinking
of and I hope that a solution to his Scheme coding problem may be found so
that his activity is brought to the successfull end:
http://www.nabble.com/Scheme-help-for-lyric-align-on-vowel-td21685675.html