Re: Persian accidentals

From: Kees van den Doel
Subject: Re: Persian accidentals
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:51:07 -0800

> > Is there any way to print the koron (60cents flat) and sori
> (40 cent  sharp)?

> I am curious where you got those figures. The values in
> Hormoz
> Farhat's thesis suggest one should use E53 with koron lowering
>
> commas and sori raising 2 commas (E53 tonesteps). He describes
> the
> Persian pitch system using a minor (resp. major) second m (resp.
> M)
> plus a neutral second n. In E53 they are m = 4, M = 9, n = 6.
>
> Then I wanted to retune m, M into E12. There is a suggestion
> that n
> can be set to the rational interval 27/25, which is close to
> Farhat's
> values, and also sound good in Scala. If I fix n at that value,
>
> close approximation is E36, or if you so like, in E12 let (koron
> resp.
> sori) lower 2/3 (resp. raise 1/3) of an E12 tonestep.
>
> Now, this is very close to your suggestion, making me curious
> about
> the motivation for those setting those.

Hormoz Farhat was not a practicing musician, so I would not rely too much on
his thesis and book.
For sources and details of Persian tuning please see my website
http://members.shaw.ca/persianney section techinque-fingering and tuning.

In terms of lilypond support for Persian music the koron and sori glyphs are
all that's needed for
notation, but for midi rendering we'd need also at least the 20 cent flat note,
which is not notated
but considered part of tuning. Also the minor second is often small up to 10
cent.

Kees