Re: Persian musical koron and sori

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Persian musical koron and sori
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:09:45 +0100

On 2 Feb 2009, at 12:34, Graham Breed wrote:

Do you what types of fonts that LilyPond can use? - Behnam Rassi he says he only knows how to make music fonts.

There are two ways Lilypond loads its fonts: music fonts and Pango fonts. The music fonts start out as Metafont and get converted to OTF along with some special tables that I never sorted out. Music fonts are what Lilypond uses by default for accidentals so that's the best way to go.

So this problem might then have been fixed - I forwarded your message to Behnam Rassi in case he didn't see it on the list.

And once somebody's drawn them they're likely to get added to the standard fonts I'd have thought if we're only talking two new glyphs.

Though there are some variations, I think they semantically the same. The variation used by Farhat is for koron like an inverted flat b, but with the loop have the form >, and for the sori, a sharp # but with the horizontal lines changed to a >. A variation can be seen on
  http://www.96edo.com/24_EDO.html
The small koron look like an inverted flat b without shape change, and the large sori uses a largish > with the vertical lines slanted.

I like the first variation: the koron is different from an inverted flat b, and the sori is possibly easier to read in small type.

  Hans