Lilypond is generating errors for perfect syntax!

From: kentaku_sama
Subject: Lilypond is generating errors for perfect syntax!
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:39:56 -0800 (PST)

Okay I have been using lilypond enough to know that there is something wrong
with version 2.12.3
i don't know why but when I create a piano solo template and create the
first 8 measures of notes or something it works fine and produces a nice PDF
file. Unfortunately sometime after that when I generate it it produces these
errors:

   #
         (set-ottavation 1)

C:/Users/W   J/Desktop/cc sleep.ly:21:1: error: syntax error, unexpected
STRING

 lower = \relative c, {

C:/Users/W   J/Desktop/cc sleep.ly:31:5: error: syntax error, unexpected
\score

     \score {

C:/Users/W   J/Desktop/cc sleep.ly:34:32: error: unknown escaped string:
`\upper'
           \new Staff = "upper"
                                \upper

C:/Users/W   J/Desktop/cc sleep.ly:34:32: error: syntax error, unexpected
STRING
           \new Staff = "upper"
                                \upper

C:/Users/W   J/Desktop/cc sleep.ly:35:32: error: unknown escaped string:
`\lower'
           \new Staff = "lower"
                                \lower

C:/Users/W   J/Desktop/cc sleep.ly:35:32: error: syntax error, unexpected
STRING
           \new Staff = "lower"
                                \lower

C:/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/init.ly:63:66:
error: syntax error, unexpected $end
   (ly:parser-error parser (_ "expected error, but none found"))))

error: failed files: "C:\\Users\\W   J\\Desktop\\cc sleep.ly"

What I don't understand is that I didn't mess with these parts of the code
at all!!  There's nothing wrong with my syntax but it generates errors
anyway Why? no matter what I do it won't output a PDF anymore!
This has happened with every song I've created in lily pond using the piano
template.
How do I fix this?