Re: new chord symbol (for me, at least)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: new chord symbol (for me, at least)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:37:50 -0500

Hi David (et al.):

In sheet music convention there is no difference whatever between
Cdim  and Cdim7. Many people like you and I like to include the 7
to be  unambiguous, but nothing can be done about Cdim
except to write it as Cm(b5) if the triad is desired.

Though its usage is hardly widespread, I much prefer Cdim5: this more clearly articulates the real function of the chord, rather than suggesting that it's a "minor triad with lowered fifth".

[ Another bonus I just noticed: fewer symbols/keystrokes! :) ]

Quick recognition is the whole purpose of chord names of this type.

Agreed!

The difference between jazz chords and sheet music chords is
only in the accretion of cryptic symbols, of which the triangle is the worst.

In my opinion, you just contradicted yourself: speaking from my own experience — as well as opinions gleaned from several discussions regarding this exact symbol with colleagues and students — the triangle provides the quickest recognition of any other notation I've encountered. I believe this happens because (again) the triangle becomes a transparent metaphor/symbol for *harmonic function*, as opposed to a set of semantic symbols that one must first parse. [Of course, as with literally any symbol (e.g., even the 'min' in 'Cmin') there is a first-occurrence learning curve… but I'm talking about usage after first contact.]

Regards,
Kieren.