Re: Can't get it to look like I want it to

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Can't get it to look like I want it to
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:25:33 +0100

Tim Slattery wrote:
I still can't get my output to look the way I want it to.Maybe
Lilypond just doesn't do this.

Traditional Sacred Harp music uses four dots, one between each line,
for a repeat symbol. It looks just like what you get when you specify
\bar":". The beginning of a repeat often starts in the middle of a
measure, and I've gotten that effect by doing this (in a 6/8 song):

| g2 \bar ":" r8 g8 |
The code I sent you should produce the same result. The advantage of using a combination of \repeat and \bar as I proposed, is that you easily can use \unfoldRepeats to get all repeats played in the MIDI version (see section "3.5.4, Repeats in MIDI"). Also, it agrees better with the philosophy that the input should describe the musical meaning, not only the desired layout.
I don't know why it doesn't complain about the wrong number of beats
in a measure, but it doesn't.
Why should it, it's very common to have repeats or double bars in the middle of a measure.
The other end of the repeat is at the end of a measure, so it should
like the \bar":" symbol immediately followed by a normal bar line. And
that I cannot do.
You have already received a very nice answer to this question. Again, I propose to use it in combination with a standard \repeat construct.

   /Mats