Re: Total invisibility

From: Gilles Sadowski
Subject: Re: Total invisibility
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:45:37 +0100

Hi.

> Ah, I understand now. Honestly, I would change the input to reflect what
> you want. What you want is a midi voice that is not present in the score.
> If I understand correctly, you have typeset this voice into the printed
> score. (This is where I learned a lot from Kieren about separating
> things.)

That's also what I'm trying to achieve but it doesn't always seem possible
with LilyPond only. I like having separate input files for the different
instruments, but for most projects, I don't think it would be wise to go
further and put other tools in the picture such as a preprocessor that would
fetch its data from a database!

E.g. in this instance, I would have liked to keep the drone notes and the
melody notes together (i.e. in the same file) because they both are the
bagpipe "content".
But that, as we've seen, that makes it difficult to separate the printed
from the midi output; hence I had to *separate* contents that belong
together (i.e. create the "drone" staff) and then use "\tag"...

> I've learned with lilypond to put one thing into a variable. If
> there are two voice that are always two voices throughout the entire
> piece, then it's easier to type those two voices into separate variables
> and combine them in my staff, than to type them both into the same
> variable.

Of course, that's also what I do.
But having the "drone" and "melody" in separate voices is not enough; they
had to go in separate staves. Otherwise I would have mixed contents (music)
with layout decision, by specifiying a "\tag #'no-layout" in front of the
drone "Voice"!

Anyway, in the end, it works, with minimal changes :-)

Best,
Gilles